Got your flights booked, now where are you going to stay???
Even though I am not a big fan of Myeongdong(touristy, stingy with samples)I would normally stay around this area. I’m not referring to Myeongdong station though. Explain later.
Few factors you’d want to consider:
- Accessibility (subways, airport transfer, etc)
- Where are you going to spend most of your time at?
- What food options/shopping options are there around you?
SecuritySeoul is just…. so safe… -.-
I’ve listed some suggested areas to stay at the bottom of this post.
So… even though I am not a big fan of Myeongdong, I would still opt to stay here most of my trips (unless I plan to explore other areas more, like Gangnam maybe? for my next trip 😀 )
Its so freaking convenient!!!
The main subway lines are nearby. Line 2 leads you west towards Ewha / Hongdae/ Shinchon and east towards Dongdamun History & Culture station (which is the station you really want if you’re shopping at Dongdaemun, well unless you want to go to the wholesale markets). Line 3 leads you north to palaces, Gwangjang market and Samcheongdong and south to Express Bus Terminal. And its near airport transfer as well.
Be careful when picking stations with few lines on it, e.g. Seoul Station. There are like, a gazillion exits all over and to walk from your train to your exits can take 15-20 minutes…. Case in point, the last time I was in Seoul, I booked a really really lovely AirBnB apartment at Seoul Station and chose an apartment nearest to the station exit. But…. Seoul Station is so freaking long… I don’t mind 20 minutes walk but when you are carrying loads of shopping and rushing for time….
2. Where are you going to spend most of your time at?
If you are going to shop most of the time, you want to pick a place nearby the shops…. so that its more convenient to put your stuff down when it gets too heavy for you.
Staying around Myeongdong area may still win hands down, despite the fact that if you buy any cosmetics, the amount of samples you get is really pitiful. Weigh in your options. Do I want to carry 10kg of skincare with me the whole day???
Alternatively, most if not all subways have locker options so you can just store your stuff in the locker. Really love this option especially when I’m lugging my trolley bags at rural towns and am just staying for few nights. I will just leave my heavy bags at the train/bus station and go off in a backpack.
3. What food options/shopping options are there around you?
Hmm….. the whole of Seoul is filled with food so I guess this doesn’t really factor in. There are always food delivery options (even for picnics at Han River!!!! you can get them to deliver food to where you are. Really cool)
To me…. the best place to stay is in Lotte Myeongdong (right next to Lotte mall, it is near euljiro-1 subway station and near Myeongdong). BUT>>>>>>> its too costly!!!!
just save your money for shopping and food -.-
The places I like to stay are:
- Holiday Inn Express @ Euljiro-3 ga. Its a 20 minutes walk to Myeongdong but it conveniently has line 2 and 3 on it. If you are adventurous, you can go to Golbaengi Alley nearby and try… The hotel is located at a quiet area with no shops around and very few eating options nearby but the interior of the hotel… love how its so simple yet modern.
- Seoul station. Despite what I said earlier, it is still connected to quite a number trains and has Lotte Mart nearby (free food yo! Samples, but still free!). And I can walk (~25 mins) to my favourite place in Seoul… NAMDAEMUN!
- If you are fine with hostels and guesthouses.. and still in your early twenties (T.T my youth…. T.T), you may want to opt to stay at Hongdae. It is also connected to the airport train. Ewha is a really good option too. Since its near to cheap shops and awesome Alchon Albap
Despite all my blabbering above…. Seoul’s subway system is so efficient and covers a huge area so you can actually just randomly pick any place in Seoul. LOL.
The only reason I chose Myeongdong area is because of its close proximity to Namdaemun and its quite in the central of the places I want to go in Seoul. So essentially I am close to none, but yet … close to all….